The Tobacco Products Directive 2014/14/EU (TPD), became law 20th May 2016. It applies to all tobacco related products together with both vaping hardware and eliquids. Vaping products are included as they may contain nicotine or be designed to deliver nicotine, much of which is derived from tobacco leaves. The new regulations apply to the manufacture, retail and display of vaping products together with their packaging. The TPD also regulates how vaping products are taxed and where they may be used.
Manufacturers and retailers benefitted from a transition period during which it remained possible to produce and sell non-compliant devices and eliquids. However, from 20th May 2017, it was necessary for all vaping products sold to consumers to be complaint with the TPD.
The Tobacco Products Directive is a lengthy and complex piece of legislation. But the regulations it contains regarding the manufacture and sale of vaping hardware and eliquids can be summarized as follows:
- E liquids and devices must have child-resistant and tamper-proof packaging
- Producers must notify the regulatory body of the ingredients in eliquids, the components in devices and their refilling mechanisms
- Vaping devices must be protected against breakage and leakage. It must be possible to refill them without leakage
- Devices must deliver a consistent dose of nicotine per puff
- The capacity of tanks, pods and cartridges must not exceed 2ml
- The nicotine strengths of eliquids must not exceed 20mg/ml
Vapekit.co.uk and compliance with the TPD
Since the TPD came into force, vapekit.co.uk (formerly Vapester.co.uk) has done everything possible to remain compliant with the regulations. Vapekit.co.uk will continue to do everything within its power to remain compliant with the regulations and with any new legislation relating to the sale of vaping devices and eliquids.
Here’s how we ensure that vapekit.co.uk fully complies with the TPD and all regulations relating to the sale of vaping related products.:
- When sourcing supplies of any e-cigarette or eliquid, we check that the products feature on the list of Submitted Products. This list contains the details of all products which have been notified to the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) as compliant.
- When we cannot find a specific product on the MHRA’s Submitted Product list, we ask the supplier of that product to confirm that it complies with the TPD and that it has been notified to the MHRA.
- Vapekit.co.uk only retails eliquids and nicotine shots which contain a nicotine concentration of 20mg/ml or less.
- All eliquids (which contain nicotine) and nicotine shots offered by vapekit.co.uk are sold in bottles with a maximum capacity of 10ml.
- Vapekit.co.uk only retails tanks, pods, cartridges and vaping kits with an eliquid capacity of 2ml or less.
- None of the products offered by vapekit.co.uk contain taurine, caffeine or diaceytl.
- The ingredients are stated on the packaging of all eliquids sold by vapekit.co.uk.
- All eliquids sold by vapekit.co.uk feature a nicotine warning on the packaging.
- Vapekit.co.uk ensures that its advertising and marketing messages are socially responsible and do not encourage non-smokers or non-nicotine users to start using electronic cigarettes. Our advertisements will never target children or include content which is likely to appeal to children.
You can learn more about the TPD and how it has impacted vaping by reading our article dedicated to the subject. Please note that this was published at the time the TPD came into force. We will publish updates should any significant changes to the regulations be made. It is not yet known if any of the laws governing the retailing of vaping related products will be changed following the UK’s departure from the European Union.