Your vaping experience should be straightforward and enjoyable. But sometimes even the most basic e-cig or vape kit can bamboozle you, especially if you are a beginner. As with most things in life, the solutions are usually simple but only when you know what they are!
We have put together a troubleshooting guide which should solve most of the issues that you encounter. Hopefully, this will keep you puffing away happily.
Troubleshooting your device
Why isn't my vape battery working?
- Check that you haven’t accidently turned off your device. Most e-cigs are switched on and off by pressing the relevant button a prescribed number of times. It’s quite easy to do that without realising it when your device in your pocket or bag.
- Check that the automatic cut off protection on your device hasn’t shut down your mod. If you have accidently depressed the fire button for too long or you have taken several long draws in quick succession, your device might have automatically intervened to save your battery from overheating.
- Check that your battery hasn’t run out of charge. If you think that you have charged your battery but it appears to be dead, ensure that you are using a compatible charger. There should be an indicator on your device that will tell you when a connection has been made and the battery is charging.
- Clean the connections between your battery and your tank or pod. A build up of dirt and debris is inevitable and will prevent the battery from firing your coil.
- Ensure that you haven’t compromised your battery or batteries. Exposure to water, contact with metal objects and exposure to extreme temperatures can damage your battery and render it unsafe.
- Batteries don’t last forever and so yours may simply have reached the end of its useful life.
Why isn't my device producing any vapour when I take a draw?
- Ensure that your battery is charged.
- Check that you have switched on your device. This will probably involve pressing the appropriate button a prescribed number of times.
- Ensure that the connections between your tank and your battery are clean.
- If these steps don’t solve the problem, try changing your coil.
Why can't my mod detect that my tank, pod or atomiser is connected?
- Check that your tank isn’t crooked. If it is, this is probably the result of dropping your e-cig or sitting on it. If the tank isn’t positioned correctly, your mod may not be able to detect that it is present. Alternatively, your mod’s safety features might be sensing a problem and preventing you from firing your coil. You will probably need a new tank.
- Check your connection and ensure that it is adjusted to suit your tank.
- Look at your coil to see if it is loose or clogged by e-liquid residue.
- Make sure that your tank isn’t connected to your mod too tightly.
- Ensure that your tank is compatible with your mod.
- Clean your connections.
- If all else fails, try fitting a new coil.
Why am I experiencing spitting or gurgling sounds when I vape?
- Remove the mouthpiece (drip tip), if that is possible, and flick the device sharply towards some tissue or a cloth to remove any excess vape juice from the coil.
- Check that you haven’t overfilled your tank.
- Check that your tank isn’t screwed too tightly to your mod or battery.
- Clean your tank with water, dry it thoroughly and refill it with e-liquid.
- Try inhaling less aggressively. You could be inhaling too hard for your tank to cope.
Why is e-liquid is leaking through my airflow?
- Think about whether you have exposed your device to extreme heat. Your e-liquid may have thinned as a result and be more liable to leak.
- Consider whether you have adopted a vaping style compatible with your device. If you are mouth to lung vaping with a direct to lung device, you might be causing it to overheat.
- Check that you are using the correct type of e-liquid. If your coil boasts a low resistance, it will feature larger airflow holes which are compatible only with higher VG vape juice.
- Increase your power setting if you have a variable wattage device and this will cause your coil to vaporise more juice per puff and so minimise the potential for flooding.
- Always empty your tank before taking a flight. The change in air pressure could force e-liquid out of your tank.
- If all else fails, try changing your coil.
Why is e-liquid is leaking from my tank?
- Check that you haven’t overfilled your tank as this could cause e-liquid to pool within the central chimney. If you leave a small amount of air within the tank, a vacuum will form, helping to stop vape juice from leaking.
- Ensure that your tank isn’t screwed too tightly to your mod or battery.
- Check your o rings. These are seals which prevent e-liquid leakage and they need replacing from time to time due to degradation.
- Examine your tank for cracks. Small cracks can be difficult to see but will enable e-liquid to escape.
- Ensure that you are vaping a suitable e-liquid. You will need high VG juice for sub ohm equipment.
- When you are not vaping, leave your device standing upright.
Why isn't my OLED screen working?
- If your mod features a stealth mode, check that this hasn’t been enabled. You might need to read the instructions for your device to ensure that you have chosen the right settings. Your screen will not light up in stealth mode.
- See if there is a firmware update available for your device.
- If these steps don’t resolve the issue, your screen may be broken. It could be replaceable but you might have to invest in a new device.
Why am I experiencing a burnt taste?
- Your coil probably needs replacing. Coils don’t last forever and will eventually deliver a burnt taste.
- If you have recently replaced your coil, you may not have primed it correctly. You should fill your tank and then allow time for the wick to absorb e-liquid before attempting to vape.
- Check there is sufficient e-liquid in your tank. There must be enough juice to cover the air holes in your coil.
- Allow more time between puffs. It could be that you are taking puffs in quick succession and not allowing the wick to absorb more juice between draws.
Why am I not getting big enough clouds of vapour?
- Check that your tank contains enough e-liquid.
- Switch to e-liquid with a higher VG ratio as it is the VG that gives you impressive clouds.
- Consider the equipment you are using. The lower the resistance of your coils, the hotter they get and the more vapour they produce. Low resistance (sub ohm) coils are suitable for high VG e-liquid and require higher wattages to fire them.
- Check your battery as it may be running low on charge. Some devices will moderate the output when the battery charge is low.
- Try fitting a new coil.
- Clean the contacts between your battery and your tank.
Troubleshooting your e-liquids
Why are my e-liquids turning dark?
- Think about how long your e-liquid has been in your tank or opened bottle. Exposure to heat, UV light and oxygen can cause e-liquid to darken over time. E-liquids containing freebase nicotine will darken more quickly than those containing salt nicotine.
- Check the nicotine strength of your e-liquid as the higher the strength, the quicker your juice will oxidise and darken.
- Always store your juice in a cool, dry place.
- Clean your tank regularly to prevent a build-up of e-liquid residue.
Why is Vaping giving me a sore or dry throat?
- Drink some water.
- Check that your tank contains sufficient e-liquid.
- Try replacing your coil as it may have burnt out.
- Switch to e-liquid with a higher VG content as PG can irritate your throat. Switching to high VG juice may necessitate an investment in a sub ohm tank, pod or kit that is compatible with the thicker consistency.
- Reduce the number of puffs you take. If this leaves you craving nicotine, choose an e-liquid with a higher nicotine strength.
- Avoid menthol flavours as these can irritate your throat.
Why am I not getting a powerful enough throat hit?
- Try switching to a vape juice with a higher PG ratio as it the PG which gives you the hit.
- Choose e-liquid with a higher nicotine strength as the strength of freebase nicotine can make all the difference.
- If you are vaping salt nicotine flavours, switch to those featuring freebase nicotine or a hybrid containing both freebase and salt nicotine.
- Try new flavours. Menthol and citrus flavours deliver stronger throat hits than sweet flavours.
- If you still aren’t satisfied, upgrade your device to one which gives you greater control over your output wattage, temperature and airflow.
Why are the throat hits I experience are too powerful?
- Switch to using e-liquid with a higher VG ratio as it is the PG in your juice that provides the throat hit. You will need a sub ohm device to vape high VG e-liquids.
- Choose vape juice with a lower nicotine strength.
- Switch to vaping flavours featuring salt nicotine as this provides smoother hits than freebase nicotine.
- Don’t vape menthol or citrus flavours as these are harsher on your throat.
Why are the draws I take not satisfying my nicotine cravings?
- Switch to e-liquid with a higher nicotine strength.
- If you have a variable wattage mod, increase the output.
- Take longer draws.
- Try replacing your coil.
- Ensure that your battery isn’t running low on charge.
- Try salt nicotine flavours as this form of nicotine is absorbed more quickly by the body and so delivers more immediate and longer-lasting relief of your cravings.
Why does vaping give me a headache or induce nausea?
- Try reducing the nicotine strength of your e-liquid as it will likely be the nicotine that is causing you issues. If you have switched to sub ohm vaping but have not reduced the nicotine strength of your juice, you may be overdosing on the nicotine. If you have recently quit smoking and were a light smoker, you may have chosen vape juice with a nicotine strength that is too high.
- Take less puffs to reduce the amount of nicotine you are absorbing each time.
Why am I not getting enough flavour from my e-liquid?
- Blow gently through your mouthpiece to improve e-liquid flow and to release flavour.
- Take a drink to refresh your palate.
- Check to see if your e-liquid has darkened due to oxidation as this can impact flavour.
- Clean your tank connections.
- Clean your tank.
- Try a different favour profile to perk up your taste buds.
- Consider whether you may be suffering from a cold or other health issue that impacts your sense of taste.
Why is my e-liquid is getting into my mouth?
- Don’t vape lying down or in any position where your device is tilted downwards.
- Don’t overfill your tank.
- Ensure that you don’t drip e-liquid down your chimney when filling your tank.
- Check that your coil is fitted correctly.
- Take some tissue, roll it up and insert it into your chimney to remove any excess e-liquid.